APP and SMEC have been awarded the Independent Verifier (IV) role for the AUD$2.6 billion Sydney Gateway Project for Transport for NSW, to be designed and constructed by a John Holland Seymour Whyte JV.
Sydney Gateway will provide a direct connection between Sydney Airport International and Domestic terminals, and the new West Connex motorways at St Peters Interchange. The project will also enable improved distribution of freight from Port Botany and Sydney Airport, improve local traffic flow and congestion, and contribute to an improved transport network to support rapid economic and population growth.
The project includes:
- new access road to Terminal T1 from the St Peters Interchange through the former Tempe Tip;
- new bridges over Alexandra Canal;
- new overpasses across the Botany Rail Line and Canal Road;
- new link roads to Sydney Airport land connecting on either side of the Botany Rail Line;
- new link roads connecting Sydney Airport’s existing and proposed freight facilities on either side of Alexandra Canal;
- an active transport link to maintain bicycle and pedestrian connections between Tempe, Sydney Airport, and Mascot;
- widening Qantas Drive to three lanes in each direction;
- new elevated access viaduct and overpass from the upgraded Qantas Drive into Terminals T2/T3; and
- intersection upgrades or modifications at Robey Street/Seventh Street/Qantas Drive, Ross Smith Avenue/Sir Reginald Ansett Drive, and Shiers Avenue/Sir Reginald Ansett Drive.